John’s first screenplay, THE AMEN SISTERHOOD, received the prestigious 2020 Humanitas New Voices Award. Established in 2010, the Humanitas award recognizes new work that inspires more compassion, peace, love and dignity in the human family.
Working with his Humanitas mentor, the internationally renowned filmmaker Ligiah Villalobos, John has created, in SISTERHOOD, the story of five women fighting to drive the drug dealers out of their inner-city neighborhood.
LOGLINE: Five Black women band together to stop a gang from openly selling drugs in the courtyard of their housing project, risking their lives to make a difference.
- Winner, Humanitas New Voices Award
- Top 1% of all screenplays, "The Best of Stage 32", 2022
- Top 1% of all screenplays, Coverfly, 2022
- Finalist, We Screenplay Diverse Voices Competition, 2020
- Finalist, Big Apple Film Festival Screenplay Competition, 2020
- Finalist, Launch Pad Feature Competition, 2019